Free Shipping on all orders above $40!  Shop Now!

Colombia Finca El Zacatin

$ 33.90

Flavours of red grapes, cherry liquer and watermelon when hot. Cools into pink guava and sparkling red wine with an undertone of 70% cocoa throughout the whole experience.

Easily one of the most complex coffees we've come across.


Buy in bulk and save!
1kg - 4.9kg : 20% off!
5kg and above : 40% off!
Quantity:

More info
Close

Farm
Finca El Zacatin

Country
Colombia

Region
Antioquia

Town
Concordia

Varietal(s)
SL-28

Altitude
2,100m above sea level

Processing
Natural

Roast Level
Medium-Light

Located in the mountainous terrain and temperate climates of southwest Antioquia, Finca Zacatin, has the perfect climate for producing excellent quality coffee. Traditionally a producer of commercial coffee, Eduardo is the third generation of the Fernandez family, farming at Finca Zacatin. Just over four years ago, Eduardo became aware of the different attributes that rare Arabica varieties can hold. As a small side project, Eduard acquired a selection of unusual beans from around the globe, hoping to produce and sample their special nature.

Today, Eduardo’s small side project has flourished into a large scale operation, producing fields of Gesha, Pink Bourbon, SL28 and Tabi varieties. This particular lot is of the SL 28 variety. The region of Antioquia is fortunate to receive two harvests each year. The primary harvest in the region is between November and February, where 60% of the annual production is collected, with the remaining 40% harvested in theMitica crop between April and June.

This particular lot from Finca Zacatin has been selectively hand-harvested, before being delivered to the Green Hill’s state-of-the-art mill to be sorted for quality first by machine and then by hand. Here, the cherries are deliberately sorted to include 70% ripe and remove the 20% overripe and 10% half-ripe cherries, often found at the mill. This helps to create the desired flavour profile for these particular lots. Once sorted, cherries are floated to remove any light floating cherries, making sure only the denser cherries are saved for the final product, as well as to clean the fruit from dirt and bacteria.

Next, the mass is placed in a tank to undergo a process of aerobic fermentation, increasing the fruity smell and taste of the beans. After 12 hours, the cherries are de-pulped, before being moved to a separate tank to undergo a process of malolactic fermentation; growing yeast into the mass. Once the fermentation process is complete, the mass is removed and spread thinly over raised beds to dry. Here, the coffee will remain for 2-3 weeks, depending on the weather, until a moisture content of 11% is reached. Once dried, the coffee is placed into grain pro sacks and left to rest for a minimum of 2 weeks, before being milled,ready for export.